Why is pet euthanasia expensive?

After a month of health problems for my 11-year-old Yorkie, I have regretfully decided that it would be better to put him to sleep. After contacting three different locations, I have received rates that range from $250 to $350 for the actual euthanasia and $300 to $600 for a single cremation. I know these prices are reasonable, but I am a graduate student, and money is quite tight. Yes, I like it in an HCOL area, but the fact that this excruciating process costs so much pisses me off.

1 Like

Veterinarians do not work for free. These are services provided for profit. It’s awful. I concur. I had to pay to have a donkey’s body removed after having to have a veterinarian in to put her to sleep. You believe that euthanizing a dog is costly. Too many people give up on their pets at that point in an attempt to save money (terrible, they transport horses for slaughter).

It’s not fair to the pet because it will be stressed until the veterinarian euthanizes it, but some shelters will let you sign the animal over to them and they will euthanize it for free (you don’t get the body back). And by themselves…