Why is my cat's eye twitching

I think some dust got into his eye, but I’m not sure. I tried using bottled water and artificial tears. You can try flushing it out with an eyedropper, though the cat won’t like it.

2 Likes

Do not panic, but there are a few possible causes of a cat’s twitchy eye, or nystagmus. Inner ear infections, which can lead to vertigo and problems with balance, as well as irritation from dust, allergies, or scratches, are frequently to blame. Usually, these go away on their own.

This is what to look out for:

Does it jitter continuously or only sometimes?
Do you have any further symptoms, such as vomiting, head tilting, or shaky walking?
See your veterinarian if the twitching is ongoing or if it is accompanied by further symptoms. In particular, if it is a neurological condition, prompt identification and treatment are crucial.

2 Likes

Use an eyedropper to attempt draining out any artificial tears or bottled water you may have. Although the cat won’t appreciate it, it should help if it’s only something that got in there. Don’t rub at the eye; instead, gently wipe off any extra water. Rubbing an eye could cause it to scrape or get irritated if there is dust or another particle that went inside and didn’t come out. It is generally best to have it checked if it does not clear regularly.

1 Like

It could be due to vestibular disease. You should take it to a vet asap!

The involuntary and rhythmic oscillation of the eyeballs, or the accidental movement or swinging back and forth of the eyes, is the result of nystagmus.

Cats are more likely to get eye infections or damage. If it doesn’t go away after a day or two, always get a veterinarian to look at it. You can determine whether the problem persists after a day of observation. Occasionally, it’s caused by dust or allergies.