Why Does My Cat Push His Penis Out and Lick It?

Why Does My Cat Display His Penis and Lick It?

I have a nearly 2-year-old male Scottish Fold cat who isn’t neutered. Frequently, he extends his penis and licks it. Normally, it’s just a dark spot in his fur, but when it protrudes, it forms a small cone-like shape. This behavior often occurs after he pees, and while he had a urinary stone in the past, he’s been healthy since switching to special cat food. Is this just a grooming behavior, or could it indicate a problem? Could he be “masturbating”? My previous male cat didn’t exhibit this behavior, although he did groom himself.

3 Likes

It’s a natural grooming behavior. Your cat is simply keeping his genital area clean. This behavior can surprise some owners when they first notice it, often leading to amusing euphemisms like “lite brite” or “red rocket.” If you notice excessive grooming, discoloration, swelling, persistent protrusion, or changes in litter box behavior, then it’s wise to seek veterinary advice. Otherwise, it’s just your cat maintaining his hygiene.

2 Likes

Thank goodness for this, it just happened to me, and I was like, “What on earth is that? A giant worm?”

2 Likes

I can relate. That’s why I’m here five years later after it was originally posted. I was really worried and almost scheduled a vet appointment. It felt like my cat was showing me his penis because he was in pain.

1 Like

At first, I mistook it for a tick because I only saw the end of it while he was grooming, which made me think, “Could that be his penis?” He’s my first cat, and in four years, I had never seen his penis come out during grooming. I didn’t even know what a cat penis looked like and was hesitant to search for “cat penis pushed out when grooming” because it felt awkward. But I found this post, and it really relieved my concerns too.