What’s the Closest Thing to a Pet Monkey?

Before I get into this, I want to clarify that I’m not actually looking to get a pet monkey. I know they require a lot of care and are not suitable for everyone. What I’m curious about is finding an animal that resembles a monkey, even just a little bit, because I find them really cute!

Are there any animals that have a similar appearance to monkeys but might be more suitable as pets or companions? I’m interested in finding something that might have a slight resemblance in terms of looks or behavior.

I’d appreciate any suggestions or information you might have. Thanks :blush:

3 Likes

Consider a ferret. They require a lot of care, are intelligent, inquisitive, and gregarious. If they are left alone in a cage, however, they may turn destructive, bite sometimes, and develop neuroses out of boredom. However, compared to monkeys, they are far easier to care for. Plenty of character in the ideal house.

1 Like

A ferret is a good option; they require a lot of care and attention, they are intelligent, inquisitive, and can be quite biting at times. If left alone in a cage, however, they will get agitated and destructive. Yet, compared to monkeys, they are incredibly simpler to care for. In the right house, lots of charm.

While owning a pet monkey isn’t feasible or ethical, some animal companions share certain monkey-like qualities. Here are a few options to consider:

Small Primates (Not as Pets):

• Lemurs: Known for their large expressive eyes and playful nature, they resemble monkeys in some ways. However, they are wild animals and require specialized care.
  • Marmosets and Tamarins: These tiny primates are incredibly social and have expressive faces. Like lemurs, they are not suitable as pets.

Other Animal Companions:

• Rabbits: With their inquisitive nature and playful behavior, rabbits can be engaging companions. Some breeds have large eyes that might remind you of monkeys.
  • Squirrels: While not common pets, some people have successfully kept squirrels as companions. They are intelligent and active, with expressive faces. Note that keeping a wild animal as a pet is illegal in many places, so it’s essential to research local laws and regulations.
  • Dogs and Cats: Certain breeds, like the Shiba Inu or Sphynx cat, have distinctive facial features that can be somewhat monkey-like.

Remember: Even if an animal shares some physical similarities with a monkey, their care requirements and personalities will be vastly different. It’s crucial to research and understand the needs of any animal before bringing it into your home.

1 Like

Consider lemurs, squirrels, or sugar gliders. They share some monkey-like qualities but might be better suited as pets.