What is the typical lifespan of a Pekingese?

My Pekingese is 17 and a half years old, and I’m curious about his life expectancy. Does anyone know how long a Pekingese can live? I’ve had him since I was 23years old, and now I’m 40, so we’ve been together for quite some time. Google says their average lifespan is around 15 years, but I’m wondering if there are any examples of Pekingese living longer.

1 Like

To be honest, I haven’t read the article yet because I’m not ready to face it. I just want my 10-year-old baby Peke Boo to live forever!

1 Like

The best answer is …FOREVER

1 Like

Though my boy has lived to be 16 1/2 years. We’re never ready to say goodbye.

1 Like

He developed pancreatitis when he was 13, but after I switched him to a low-fat diet, he never had another attack. He lived happily for another 3 1/2 years, until he was 16 1/2. He was such a sweet companion to us—stubborn, affectionate, and goofy. This breed is truly endearing!

1 Like

Well, it really depends on each dog and their health. It’s kind a difficult to predict an exact age. Over the years, I’ve had several Pekingese companions, and their lifespans varied. Some sadly passed away as early as 10 years old. My own dog, Jacob, lived until he was around 21.

Looking back, I wish we had made a decision sooner. Jacob’s health started declining around 19, and despite our hopes that he was alright, he wasn’t. We should have made the compassionate choice to ease his pain two years earlier.

Ultimately, facing the loss of a pet is inevitable. Cherish the time you have together now and make the most of it. Take joy in doing things your dog loves—Jacob had a soft spot for ice cream, so we made sure he had plenty in his final years.