Seeking Advice - When do you decide it's time to euthanize your dog?

My 13-year-old Chihuahua Terrier recently seemed unwell, so I took her to the doctor. She was less active, eating less, and seemed bothered by something in her mouth. The vet initially thought it was a tooth issue, but during a check under anesthesia, they found a growing mass. The vet suspects it could be a tumor and possibly oral cancer. We’re waiting for biopsy results in 9 days.

Since coming home, my dog looks very sad. She hardly eats, only a few tablespoons, and struggles to move more than a few feet. She drinks very little water and spends most of the day lying down. She’s losing weight, and it’s heartbreaking to see her like this. I’ve had her since I was a kid, and I’m scared for her. I don’t know what to do. The idea of putting her down feels awful, but I also feel guilty for keeping her like this. It seems like she’s telling me she’s tired.

1 Like

Watching and noting your pet’s daily activities can help you choose the right time for euthanasia. If you see that your pet feels uncomfortable more often than enjoying life, it might be time to consider euthanasia, even if they still like eating or being around people.