Question about new mother cats

I’ve only ever owned dogs; I’ve never owned cats. I saved a cat, thus I now own one. She was being attacked by the other cats, malnourished, and losing fur, among other things. Other than what the vet could tell me, I don’t know anything about her. She is currently generally well, and I have a good feeling that she is expecting. This was not the intended outcome when I spayed her. In any case, I’ve read a lot of articles online, but none of them explain why some mother cats consume their kittens. This scares the hell out of me. Even though I didn’t want kittens, I will be devastated if she consumes them once they are born. Does anyone have any information regarding this?

1 Like

It’s normal to be anxious about your rescued cat and her future offspring. While it’s uncommon, some mother cats consume their kittens.

1 Like

Most cats are great moms, and kitten-eating is rare even under stress. However, a stressed mom might neglect or move kittens too much. Give her space, but keep an eye out for any issues. It’s okay to handle the kittens, but watch for signs of stress in mom.

1 Like