Need Urgent Help: Cat Giving Birth and I'm Clueless!

Hey everyone,

So, Lexa, my cat, who’s in excellent health and well-fed, just started giving birth. She’s usually a fierce one, and about 45 minutes ago, her water broke. Right before that, she was acting restless, chatty, and grooming herself a lot.

Here’s what happened: Lexa came to me acting all antsy and talkative, so I figured labor was starting. She was pacing around the house and seemed determined to give birth on bare bed sheets and rugs that have been in the family for ages. My sister and I tried to put down towels and sheets, but she refused and almost jumped off the bed. After some back and forth, we noticed discharge on the floor, and about 20 minutes later, something started peeking out of her rear (I think it was yellow, my sister thought it looked like “skin”). I started freaking out, trying to get her to rest, and eventually, she settled under a sheet on the sofa, calmly grooming herself.

But I’m worried about all the stress she went through and if it’ll affect the kittens.

I’d really appreciate any tips, instructions, or past experiences you guys have to offer. The vet isn’t an option right now due to curfew and social distancing, and it’s 2 AM.
Thanks, everyone in advance!

Congrats on the kittens! Let Lexa birth on the sofa if safe, and keep the area calm. Prepare a cozy nesting area with clean towels. Monitor quietly, watch for distress, and ensure Lexa has food and water. Post-birth, visit the vet to check health. Keep the area clean, and have emergency vet info ready.

It sounds like Lexa is finding her way through labor. Here’s what you can do:

1. Give Her Space: Allow her to stay where she feels safe but keep monitoring her.
  2. Be Prepared: Have clean towels and warm blankets ready. Keep your phone charged for emergencies.
  3. Monitor the Birth: Watch for signs like excessive noise or long intervals between kittens, which could indicate complications.
  4. Post-Birth Care: Ensure she and the kittens are warm and undisturbed, and that she expels the same number of placentas as kittens.
  5. Stay Calm: Your calmness helps her; she can handle most of the process if she’s healthy.
  6. Consult a Vet When Possible: Get a post-birth checkup as soon as you can.

Stay calm and supportive, as cats are usually very capable during birthing. Good luck!

Thank you so much! Lexa has settled on the sofa, and I’m doing my best to keep the environment calm and quiet for her.

Great advice! You’ve covered all the essential steps to ensure Lexa has a safe and comfortable birthing experience. The emphasis on monitoring for distress and having emergency vet info ready is particularly important. It’s also great that you reminded to keep the area clean and visit the vet post-birth. This comprehensive care approach will definitely help Lexa and her kittens thrive.

What You Can Do:

• Prepare a birthing box: Provide a quiet, secure box with soft bedding like towels or blankets. Keep it in a warm, draft-free area.
  • Monitor, but don’t interfere: Let your cat handle the delivery process. Your presence can be comforting, but avoid crowding her.
  • Keep an eye on timing: Kittens usually arrive every 10-60 minutes. Longer intervals might be okay, but prolonged straining (over 20 minutes) or difficulty passing a kitten needs a vet visit.

When to Call the Vet:

• Excessive bleeding: Heavy bleeding is a sign of trouble.
  • No kittens after 2 hours of straining: Seek help immediately.
  • Greenish discharge: This could indicate infection.
  • Less than 2 or more than 6 kittens: While litter size varies, extremes might require vet assessment.
  • Dehydration or lethargy: If your cat seems weak or unwell, call the vet.
  • Any difficulty breathing: This needs immediate attention.