Is diatomaceous earth safe for pets to walk on?

I’mgetting conflicting information on this. We’re aiming to eradicate the fleas in our home since the current treatment only appears to eliminate a portion of them.

I’ve come across mentions of diatomaceous earth being effective against fleas. However, there are concerns about its safety. Some sources suggest that inhaling it could lead to lung damage.

As for containing our cats in the basement while applying it, I’m uncertain about the safety of that approach. Even if it settles in a short time frame, there’s still a risk it could pose a threat to their health. It might be best to seek advice from a veterinarian or an expert in pest control to find a solution that ensures the safety of both our pets and our home.

2 Likes

It sounds like you’re dealing with a challenging situation regarding fleas in your home. Diatomaceous earth is indeed often recommended as a natural remedy for flea control, but it’s crucial to consider its potential risks, especially when it comes to the safety of your pets and family.

2 Likes

While diatomaceous earth can be effective against fleas, there are legitimate concerns about its safety, particularly if inhaled.

1 Like

Considering these factors, seeking advice from a veterinarian or a pest control expert is a wise decision. They can provide guidance tailored to your specific situation and offer safe and effective solutions for eliminating fleas while minimizing risks to your pets and family.