I'm scared my kitten could die at any moment

My kitten isn’t sick, but I’m constantly worried that one bite of garlic or grapes, or swallowing something small like a battery, and it could be over. It’s my first pet, and I just want him to live a long, healthy life. With five people in the house, I’m scared someone might forget something dangerous. How do you all cope with this?

1 Like

As an anxious pet parent, I totally understand. You might want to talk to someone if this is affecting your daily life. I’m in therapy, and it’s helped me and my cat so much. Take care of yourself.

1 Like

Ansel said:
As an anxious pet parent, I totally understand. You might want to talk to someone if this is affecting your daily life. I’m in therapy, and it’s helped me and my cat so much. Take care of yourself.

Couldn’t agree more. It’s great that you love your pet, but remember to take care of yourself too.

Ansel said:

I relate. I still worry about losing my cat, especially after she went missing for 3 weeks. It’s been years, but I still have anxiety about things like open doors or her falling off the balcony. Therapy has helped, but I still have bad days.

Ansel said:

Honestly, your anxiety could affect your kitten too. You might end up with an anxious little kitty…

@Nari
Lol, I think my cats are more sick of my overprotectiveness than anything :joy:

Ansel said:

I would love to get help, but therapy is so expensive and hard to afford right now…

I get that it’s scary, but the chances of your kitten eating garlic or grapes are really low. Most cats don’t like the smell of those things anyway.

Charlie said:
I get that it’s scary, but the chances of your kitten eating garlic or grapes are really low. Most cats don’t like the smell of those things anyway.

What about something small, like a battery from a hearing aid?

@Kingsley
Still unlikely. Most cats would probably bat it around before actually trying to eat it. They’d realize it’s not food pretty quickly.

Charlie said:
@Kingsley
Still unlikely. Most cats would probably bat it around before actually trying to eat it. They’d realize it’s not food pretty quickly.

True. My kitten chews on cables when teething, but small stuff like that? Not likely. Bitter sprays can help if they do start chewing on things though.

@Zander
Same here! Bitter spray saved me from so many destroyed chargers. My cat still chews on things but at least the cables are safe now.

@Kingsley
Honestly, your cat would probably just bat a battery around the floor. It’s not that easy for them to swallow. Mine’s never tried to eat anything like that, even when she’s extra hungry!

I totally understand where you’re coming from. I worry about my pets and family all the time too. It’s normal to feel this way, but if it’s becoming overwhelming, talking to someone might help. I’ve had panic attacks before, but learning to cope has made things better.

It’s super unlikely your kitten would eat garlic or grapes. Just do your best to put things away, and you’ll be fine!

Kittens don’t explore with their mouths as much as dogs do. They’re more likely to play with things than eat them, and teething only lasts a short time. You’ll probably just find a bunch of shredded paper around the house.