How to register an emotional support animal

I’m 18 years old and I struggle with depression, anxiety, PTSD, and BPD. Previously, I discussed with my therapist the idea of having an emotional support animal. I had a tortoise before, but unfortunately, I acquired it from an unreliable breeder and it passed away. Now, I’m considering getting a cat from a shelter and registering them as my emotional support animal so I can have them with me in my dorm. Can you advise me on the process for doing so?

1 Like

Registering an emotional support animal involves a few key steps:

  1. Consultation with a Licensed Mental Health Professional: The first step is to meet with a licensed therapist, psychologist, or psychiatrist. This professional must determine that the presence of the animal is needed for your mental health.

  2. Obtain an ESA Letter: If the mental health professional determines that an emotional support animal would be beneficial for you, they will write an ESA letter on their letterhead. This letter states that the animal provides therapeutic value.

  3. Register Your ESA: After obtaining the ESA letter, you can register your emotional support animal online. The registration typically includes an Animal ID Card and a certificate verifying its registration.

1 Like

@DanielLopez. The only legitimate way to obtain an emotional support animal is to get an ESA letter from a mental health professional licensed in your state. Having an ESA letter ensures that you and your emotional support animal’s rights are protected under federal law.