How to price pet care for high-maintenance pets who can't be left alone long?

I have a meeting soon with someone who wants to book me for three weeks. I’ve been reading about extended stays and care on Rover and I want some advice. They haven’t told me much yet, but I just checked their profile and saw that their dogs need a lot of attention and can’t be left alone for long.

When I started on Rover in February, I set my prices too low and ended up getting paid very little for a lot of work. I don’t want to make that mistake again, especially for such a long booking with two pets. I’ve changed my prices since then, so my normal rate is okay now. But how should I charge extra for special care?

Extended care seems to be if we need to work into the next day, and extended stay is for longer house sitting. So those don’t really fit when we need to give extra attention to pets. Should I just manually adjust the rates based on what they need? I don’t want them to think I’m trying to cheat them. They were charged incorrectly by Rover before, and I fixed it manually. Now, knowing they’ll need more care, I want to charge more. How should I handle this without confusing them or seeming unfair? Any advice would be appreciated, thank you!

2 Likes

During your meeting with the client, be sure to discuss their expectations regarding the level of care required for their pets. Ask specific questions about their pets’ needs, such as feeding schedules, exercise requirements, and any medical or behavioral considerations.

2 Likes

If the client expresses concerns about cost, you can offer different options for pricing based on their needs. For example, you could offer a flat rate for the entire booking period or an hourly rate for additional care beyond standard services.

1 Like

Let them know that you want to ensure their pets receive the best care possible and that your rates are reflective of the extra time and effort required.

Think about how long the care will be required, any specific requirements like medication or grooming, the prevailing rates in the area, and the caregiver’s level of expertise. Providing options for longer-term care can help find a good balance between affordability and quality.

Pricing pet care for high-maintenance pets involves several steps:

1. Assess Needs: Identify the special care required, like medication or constant supervision.
  2. Research Local Rates: Check local pricing for similar services.
  3. Consider Skills and Certifications: Adjust rates if professional skills are needed.
  4. Offer Tiered Pricing: Different rates for different levels of care.
  5. Include Transportation Costs: Account for travel or pet transport expenses.
  6. Emergency Planning: Set rates for potential emergencies.
  7. Initial Consultations: Offer initial assessments to gauge pet needs.
  8. Communicate Value: Explain your qualifications and the specialized care provided.

This approach helps set fair pricing that reflects the intensive care high-maintenance pets need.

You’ve hit key points for pricing pet care effectively. Consider the duration of care, specific needs like medication, local rates, and the caregiver’s expertise. Offering long-term care options helps balance cost and quality, providing value to pet owners.

When discussing a long-term pet-sitting job on Rover that requires special attention, start by preparing detailed questions about the pets’ specific needs. In your meeting, explain that your pricing adjusts based on the level of care required and provide a clear breakdown of the additional costs for special care. Be open to negotiation and emphasize that your priority is the pets’ well-being. After reaching an agreement, document everything on the Rover platform and confirm all details and rates in a follow-up message to ensure clarity and prevent misunderstandings.

Charge more for high-maintenance pets needing constant care. Set clear rates for extra time and attention upfront. Consider hourly rates for continuous supervision.

For your Rover booking with high-care dogs, adjust your rates accordingly:

1. Explain Transparently: Clearly explain the need for a higher rate due to increased care.
  2. Detail the Care: Outline the specific care tasks justifying the rate.
  3. Set Expectations: Confirm agreement in writing to avoid misunderstandings.

Clear communication ensures clients understand and feel fairly treated.

Excellent tips! Obtaining quotes for various durations, inquiring about additional charges, and exploring daycare or boarding options can help you find cost-effective solutions. Make sure to read reviews thoroughly and clearly communicate your dog’s requirements to secure a sitter who is both affordable and experienced enough to meet your pet’s needs.