How To Give A Cat A Pill

My kitty has a nasty congestion problem, and the vet prescribed a big pill once a day to clear it up. The vet just said to give it orally or hidden in food, but my cat’s a pill-dodging champion!

I tried online advice and figured food would be easier, but the picky furball won’t touch his food even with tuna mixed in. He gets all excited when I open the tuna can (clearly hungry!), but then nopes out of the pill. A family member suggested crushing the pill, but the vet didn’t mention that, and I don’t want to mess it up if it won’t work.

Any suggestions to make this pill-giving adventure less stressful would be a lifesaver!

2 Likes

Churu has been quite helpful for pills.

I place a dollop of Churu on a little bread dish and top it with a pill. Cover the pill with additional churu. The cat gobbles it up. Depending on the size of the pill, you might be better off splitting it in half.

1 Like

It was a wise decision to consult the veterinarian before crushing or opening any tablets or capsules, since not all of them can be done so.

Certain cats will swallow medications that are tucked inside Pill Pockets or pushed into the middle of a soft treat. Mine are not fooled by it.

The only way I can give them medications is using a pill shooter/gun. You may get these on Amazon or your veterinarian may sell them. whether everything else fails, you could try the pill gun first. Alternatively, you might ask your veterinarian whether a medication is available or can be compounded into a different form (liquid, transdermal, injectable).

I’ve seen several videos and attempted numerous times, but I’ve never been able to successfully pill my kitties with only my hands, unlike other people. :person_shrugging:

My mom’s cat and mine both responded well to what my vet once demonstrated.
It’s difficult to put into words, but here goes…I place my arm on his back and use my left hand to grasp both sides of his jaw from behind. Using my right hand, I swiftly opened his lips and pushed the pill back as far as I could. Keep your mouth shut and gently blow on his nose or rub his neck to get him to swallow.