How can I remove cat pee smell from carpet?

We found out our cat has been peeing next to our closet, but we’re not sure how long it’s been happening. We’ve used a pet odor eliminator called Resolve three times today, and it’s helped a bit with the color, but the smell is still there. Does anyone know a good way to completely get rid of the smell and stain from the carpet? I’ve heard about using a mixture of baking soda, vinegar, and peroxide, but I’m not sure if it really works. Any advice?

Sodium bicarbonate, the main ingredient in baking soda, is excellent at absorbing odors. After cleaning your cat’s urine, ensure the area is dry, then sprinkle baking soda on the carpet or furniture. Let it sit for 15-30 minutes before thoroughly vacuuming the area.

For the stain and odor removal, an enzymatic cleaner designed specifically for pet accidents is the most effective solution.

If you search Carpet Cleaning here, you will find this discussed numerous times. It is difficult, for sure. There are lots of touted methods - personally I think vinegar will not do it.

I use an enzyme cleaner called SCOE 10X. You must blot up or spay and wet vac as much of the liquid residue as possible. Now it smells worse. Then you saturate the rug and the underpad with the enzyme cleaner. Let it set and dry over two weeks. If you can still smell it, repeat the process, at least the satuation process again. You have to really use a lot and get the underneath part, the back of the rug and the pad as well.

If that doesn’t work, you have to tear the carpet out.