How can I keep ants away from my cat's food?

I’ve never had this problem with my pet’s food bowls before. One day, I went to refill my cat’s food bowl and saw tiny black ants around it.

I cleaned the bowl, and the ants went away for a while, but sometimes they come back. I cleaned up all the cat food and wiped the floor with Lysol disinfectant wipes, but today there were a lot of ants again.

I can’t figure out where they are coming from. Today, I made a ring of lemon juice around the food bowl, and that seems to keep them away, but I’m not sure if it’s the best way.

I’m worried about my cat’s safety, and I don’t want an ant infestation. Does anyone know of any products that can get rid of ants without harming my cat or home? The ants show up whether there’s wet or dry food in the bowl.

Dealing with ants around your cat’s food bowl can be frustrating. Here are some effective ways to keep them away:

Preventative Measures:

• Cleanliness: Regularly clean the area around the food bowl with hot, soapy water to remove ant trails.
  • Tightly Sealed Food Storage: Store cat food in airtight containers to avoid attracting ants.
  • Dishwashing: Thoroughly wash food bowls after each meal to eliminate food residue.

Deterrents:

• Ant Traps: Position ant traps away from your cat’s feeding area.
  • Ant Baits: Use indoor-specific bait stations to attract and eliminate ants.
  • Natural Repellents: Vinegar, citrus peels, and cayenne pepper can act as natural repellents, though they may be less effective than commercial products.
  • Physical Barriers: Create a moat around the food bowl using water or petroleum jelly to deter ants.

Additional Tips:

• Identify the Entry Point: Locate where ants are entering your home and seal cracks and crevices to prevent further infestations.
  • Professional Pest Control: If the ant problem continues, consider reaching out to a pest control professional for assistance.

To prevent ants in pet food: store food in a lidded container, vacuum around the bowl daily, and trap ants in a tied plastic bag with the food.