Do fleas die off in the winter?

My dogs a 8yo Golden Cocker Spaniel mix, he picked up a case of fleas about a month ago. Unsuccessfully treated with natural flea spray and phenothrin shampoo. It’s winter right now in Connecticut, and I don’t really kniow if they will die off any ideas? I am going to go ahead and use the product regardless but is there a chance they will all die off anyways?

It’s important to address a flea infestation promptly to prevent it from worsening and potentially affecting your dog’s health. While fleas can be less active in winter, they can still survive indoors where it’s warm. Using a veterinarian-recommended flea treatment product is typically the most effective approach. Flea shampoos and sprays may not always eliminate the entire infestation, especially if the product isn’t specifically formulated for the issue. Consider consulting your vet for advice on suitable flea treatments for your dog, including options like topical spot-on treatments or oral medications. Additionally, treating your home environment, including bedding and carpets, is essential to fully eradicate fleas and prevent reinfestation.

Also, it’s important to understand that while fleas may be less active in winter, they can still survive indoors where it’s warm, especially in a cozy home environment. Natural flea sprays and phenothrin shampoo may not always be sufficient to eliminate a flea infestation entirely, particularly if it’s severe. It’s recommended to use veterinarian-recommended flea treatment products specifically designed to tackle the issue effectively. These products often contain ingredients that target fleas at various stages of their life cycle. Consulting your vet for guidance on the most suitable flea treatment for your dog is wise, as they can recommend options like topical spot-on treatments or oral medications. Additionally, treating your home environment, including bedding and carpets, is crucial to ensure complete eradication of fleas and to prevent reinfestation.

Fleas don’t necessarily die off in the winter. While they thrive in warmer temperatures around 75 degrees Fahrenheit, they also have a few tricks to survive the colder months.