Concerns About Dog Adoption Process – Is This Typical?

Hello folks… Am adopting a dog and have been communicating with a lady who fosters dogs. I thought I was making good progress since I filled out the application and was told I seemed like a great fit for a specific dog I’m interested in.

However, I found it odd when she told me there’s only one day next week when I can pick up the dog, and I have to clear my entire schedule because they don’t know what time the dog will arrive. I work and can’t just take a day off on short notice.

When I expressed my concerns, she tried to guilt me by saying that most people clear their schedules for this. After some back and forth, I learned that the dog isn’t even in my state yet. The shelter she works with will only bring the dog to my state with a group of other dogs if I can commit to that specific day.

Is this typical in the dog adoption process? I can’t help but feel a bit uneasy about how this has been handled and whether this is a legitimate situation or possibly a scam. I didn’t like how she wasn’t upfront about the dog’s location and the pick-up conditions. TYIA :blush:

I strongly recommend proceeding with caution. Consider reaching out to other rescue organizations in your area. It’s essential to find a reputable group that prioritizes the well-being of the dogs and provides a transparent adoption process.

When I adopted my dog, I experienced a similar situation, and it was quite unsettling. I was asked to make immediate and significant adjustments to my schedule, which made me question the legitimacy of the process. It turned out that many reputable shelters and foster organizations do have specific procedures and schedules, but they should be transparent and reasonable. It’s not typical to require such a rigid schedule without clear communication about the dog’s location or the logistics involved. I’d suggest reaching out to the shelter directly for confirmation and clarity. It’s crucial to feel comfortable and informed during the adoption process, so don’t hesitate to seek more details or consider other adoption avenues if something feels off.