Can cats eat honey? Is it safe for them?

Hey there,
So I enjoy eating peanut butter and honey on toast. My cat also likes peanut butter a lot. She always asks for some, so I give her a little bit on my finger. I know that honey can be harmful for babies to eat, but I’m not sure if it’s safe for cats. I wonder if I should be cautious when giving her peanut butter mixed with honey.

2 Likes

While honey is not toxic to cats, it’s not recommended as part of their diet. Cats are obligate carnivores and their digestive systems are not designed to process high amounts of sugar like fructose and glucose, which are abundant in honey. Feeding honey to cats can potentially lead to health issues such as weight gain, tooth decay, or even diabetes if consumed in large amounts. It’s best to stick to treats that are specifically formulated for cats, which will be both safe and more nutritionally beneficial for them.

1 Like

I’d be concerned about the sugar content in the honey and how it might impact the cats’ dental health.

Hey @Arthur It’s great that you and your cat share a love for peanut butter! While peanut butter itself is safe for cats in moderation, it’s best to avoid giving them honey. Honey can potentially cause digestive issues for cats, so it’s better to be cautious and stick to just peanut butter for your feline friend’s treats.

Here are my two cents: Let cats stick to eating cat food. Cats arent built like humans. we’ve got different digestive systems.
Something as harmless to a human as honey can be extremely toxic to a cat. Desist from feeding her those high sugars.

While honey is not toxic to cats in small amounts, it’s generally not recommended to feed it to them. Cats lack the necessary enzymes to digest honey properly, and it can potentially cause digestive issues like diarrhea or upset stomach. Additionally, honey is high in sugar, which can lead to obesity and dental problems in cats. It’s best to stick to a balanced diet specifically formulated for cats to ensure their health and well-being. If you suspect your cat has ingested honey and is showing any signs of distress, it’s advisable to consult with a veterinarian for guidance.

Absolutely not, it’s not advisable to feed your cat honey. Cats lack the necessary enzymes to digest sugars properly, and honey contains high levels of sugar.
If a cat were to consume large quantities of honey, it could lead to symptoms like gagging, regurgitation, vomiting, and diarrhea.