Why do cats purr when you pet them?

My 1-year-old Persian male cat purrs whenever I or anyone he likes touches him. Is this normal and okay? Should I be concerned about it?

Yes, it’s completely normal and usually a good sign when your cat purrs while being petted. Cats often purr when they’re content, relaxed, or seeking comfort. It’s their way of expressing happiness and can also be a means of self-soothing. Unless accompanied by other signs of distress, like aggression or unusual behavior, purring when petted is generally a positive behavior in cats.

Mine purrs if i just look at her. She’s a rescue and I think she’s just happy to be safe and loved

Yes, it’s completely normal and generally a good sign when a cat purrs in response to being touched, especially by someone they like and trust. Purring is a natural behavior in cats and is commonly associated with contentment, relaxation, and even healing. It’s their way of expressing comfort and happiness, and many cats purr when they’re being petted or cuddled. However, if you notice any sudden changes in your cat’s purring behavior, such as it becoming unusually loud or accompanied by signs of discomfort like aggression or avoidance, it might be worth consulting a veterinarian to rule out any underlying health issues. Otherwise, enjoy the bonding experience with your Persian cat and continue to provide them with affection and care.