When Can Puppies Leave Their Mom?

I’m curious about the ideal time for puppies to leave their mom. I’m preparing to welcome a new puppy into my home and want to ensure I’m making the right decision for their well-being. Could anyone share insights on when it’s best for puppies to leave their mom? Also, any tips on how to make this transition as stress-free as possible, ensuring my new furry friend grows up healthy and happy?

2 Likes

Puppies should stay with their mom and siblings until they are at least 8 weeks old. This is important because during this time, they learn how to socialize, play correctly, and communicate from their brothers, sisters, and mom.

2 Likes

If you can work out a 10-week schedule with the breeder, I’d suggest it.

1 Like

Leaving them longer is best. I’ve seen 8-10 weeks as the norm; 7 weeks isn’t enough. Try for 10 weeks if your breeder agrees.

Around 8 weeks. The general consensus among veterinarians and breeders is that puppies should ideally leave their mother and littermates around 8 weeks of age. By this time, they have typically been weaned and have begun to develop essential social skills and behaviors.

1 Like

Jordansmith, thanks for the information! It’s helpful to know that puppies should separate from their mother and littermates around 8 weeks. This enables them to begin weaning and acquiring vital social skills.

I appreciate your insight, Donna. For the sake of their social and behavioral development, puppies should be kept with their mother and siblings until they are at least eight weeks old. It’s helpful to understand how crucial this time is to their development.