What are some options for caring for an aging miniature pinscher?

So, guys, I’ve got to confess, I’ve been a pretty awful dog owner. My Miniature Pinscher is 8 years old now, and I’ve finally realized how bad I’ve been. I can’t give him away, but I want to fix things.

When we got him as a puppy, he was full of energy and so friendly, but now he’s got some issues. We started feeding him human food, and he stopped eating his dog food. He’s peeing everywhere, tearing up his bed, and constantly trying to run away.

I never played with him much, he’s not getting enough walks, and he’s not in great shape. I know it’s all my fault, but I want to make things right. Obedience classes aren’t an option, but I’m ready to do whatever it takes.

Can anyone help me out?

3 Likes

Yeah, I totally get where you’re coming from. It’s a tough situation, but there’s definitely hope! I’d suggest checking out some YouTube videos on dog training or hitting up the library for a good book. It’s going to take a lot of dedication on your part, though. Your pup’s going to need loads of love, patience, and attention. It won’t be a walk in the park, but it’s worth it.

We recently adopted a 2-year-old rescue ourselves, and potty training her took about a month. Switching her to dog food and cutting out human food made a big difference. When she does something good, shower her with praise and affection. Our new furball is all about making us happy!

Invest in some chew toys too. We grabbed an 8-inch stuffed animal from the pet store, and it’s been a lifesaver. Whenever she starts chewing on something she shouldn’t, we swap it out and encourage her to chew on the toy instead. It takes time, but she’s catching on. It’s been two months now, and she’s adjusting really well.

Setting up a routine for feeding, potty breaks, and daily walks will help a ton. You deserve a well-behaved dog, and, more importantly, your dog deserves the best. Hang in there, you’ve got this!

5 Likes

In those initial weeks, we literally had our new pup glued to our side. It seemed to do the trick for us. Dogs are pretty good at letting you know when nature calls, you just have to be vigilant for those signs. Hang in there, and definitely keep us posted on how things are going!

3 Likes

By progressively restoring healthy food, upping regular activity, creating a routine, and offering mental stimulation, you can make things better. The keys are patience and consistency.

2 Likes

here the secret is dedication.

2 Likes

Ensure regular vet check-ups, a balanced diet, gentle exercise, comfort, grooming, mental stimulation, medication if needed, safety, and lots of love.

1 Like

That sounds like a solid approach! Bonding closely with your new pup helps build trust and makes it easier to recognize their cues.

1 Like

As miniature pinschers age, it’s important to consider their changing needs. This includes providing joint or mobility supplements for arthritis relief, ensuring soft bedding and ramps for easier access, maintaining dental care to prevent gum disease, incorporating low-impact exercises like swimming, and monitoring for signs of cognitive decline. Adapting their environment can greatly support senior min pins’ well-being.