Leaving cat home alone for some days

I am going to visit my mother-in-law for a week, and while I am excited about it, I am also really worried about leaving my cat alone during that time.

I adopted my rescue cat a few months ago. He is about 5 years old and in good health.

Here is my list of concerns and potential solutions. Please let me know if I am missing anything or if you have any suggestions.

Food: He usually free-feeds on dry food and gets wet food three times a day. My plan is to fill a couple of bowls with dry food and give him some wet food before I leave. I don’t think food will be a problem. What do you think?

Water: This is my biggest worry. He has a habit of drinking from the bathroom sink when he is thirsty, and I have been trying to get him to use a cat fountain, but he is not very interested. He used to drink from my water glass, but now prefers the sink. I will leave the fountain running, put a full glass of water in its usual spot, and place a bowl of water on the floor and another in the sink. Do you think he might still get dehydrated in the two days I will be gone?

Yes, you will need to change their litter and replenish their food, and they may experience acute separation anxiety.

(I once left mine for a weekend, and when I returned, she began desperately sucking my earlobe; I didn’t get over it for a year.)

Do you have a sister, mom, best friend, or someone else you can lend an extra key to, along with some goodies, in exchange for feeding, watering, and snuggling your cat every week?

Even though cats are pretty self-sufficient, you shouldn’t leave your cat home alone for more than 2-3 days maximum. If you have a young kitten, an older cat, or a solo cat, that time should be more like 1-2 days but you know your cat(s) the best.

I think they’d surprise you & be fine. A clean tray & food out before you go with a feeder set for the next day.

We left ours on their own from midday to the next day for our wedding night & they were fine. Happy to see us but fine.

Leaving your cat home alone for a few days requires some preparation to ensure they are safe, comfortable, and engaged.
Make sure these requirements are met;

1.Food and Water

Leave enough fresh food and water. Consider using a timed feeder for meals and a water fountain to encourage drinking.

2.Safety

Secure any hazards, such as food cupboards, blind cords, or small objects that could be swallowed.

3.Comfort

Provide a cozy sleeping area and maintain a comfortable indoor temperature.

4.Entertainment

Leave toys, cat trees, tunnels, or puzzle feeders to keep your cat entertained.

5.Litter Box

Clean the litter box before you leave and consider an extra one if you’ll be gone for more than a day.

6.Check-in

If possible, have someone check on your cat or use a pet camera to monitor them remotely.