How worried should I be about getting tapeworms from my cat?

Hey, guys, I need some advice. So, about seven weeks ago, I adopted this adorable cat named Geralt, and he’s become my whole world. Anyway, about a week after bringing him home, I noticed he had ear mites, so I took him to the vet and got him treated.

But then, two weeks later, he ended up with an ear infection as a side effect of the treatment. Just when I thought things were settling down, I came home one day to find my apartment covered in vomit piles. It was a mess, and poor Geralt was feeling awful, still vomiting as I was trying to clean up. As I was cleaning, I noticed something horrifying - there were tapeworms in the vomit, like, five inches long! I freaked out and rushed him back to the vet, and they gave me a topical dewormer for him.

Now, Geralt seems to be doing okay, but I’m a wreck. I’m terrified of getting these worms from him because we’re pretty much attached at the hip. He sleeps in my bed, we share dishes washed with the same sponge, and he even walks on my pillows. I called my doctor, but they won’t do anything until I start showing symptoms.

And now, since yesterday, I’ve been feeling sick - stomach aches, rushing to the bathroom, abdominal pain, and today I even have a fever and can’t eat. I haven’t seen any worms yet, but I’m freaking out. Any advice on what I should do?

Tapeworms can be transmitted from cats to humans, although it’s not very common. The transmission usually occurs through accidental ingestion of tapeworm eggs, which can be present in the environment where an infected cat has been.
The symptoms you’re experiencing could be related to a tapeworm infection or another illness. Symptoms of tapeworm infection in humans can include nausea, weakness, loss of appetite, abdominal pain, diarrhea, and dizziness.
Given your symptoms, it’s crucial to seek medical attention promptly. Explain your situation and your recent exposure to tapeworms through Geralt. A healthcare provider needs to evaluate your symptoms and possibly test for a tapeworm infection. Treatment for tapeworms in humans usually involves medication that can effectively clear the infection.

In the meantime, here are some steps you can take to reduce the risk of tapeworm transmission:

• Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water after handling Geralt or cleaning up after him.
  • Avoid contact with Geralt’s feces and ensure that his litter box is cleaned regularly while wearing gloves.
  • Clean and disinfect areas where Geralt spends time, especially if he has had accidents or vomited.
  • Wash bedding and clothing that Geralt has been in contact with in hot water.
    Ensure Geralt is treated for fleas, as they can be carriers of tapeworm eggs.

Wow, it sounds like you and Geralt have been through quite the rollercoaster lately. I can totally understand why you’re feeling so worried right now, especially with everything that’s been happening. It’s not easy dealing with ear mites, infections, and even tapeworms, but you’re handling it like a champ.

As for your concerns about getting sick yourself, I completely get where you’re coming from. When you’re so close to your furry friend, it’s natural to worry about sharing more than just cuddles. I also had a similar scare with my cat a while back, and I know how unsettling it can be.

Since you’re already in touch with your doctor, that’s a positive step. Keep monitoring your symptoms closely and make sure to communicate any changes or new developments to them. Sometimes, these things take a bit of time to show up, so it’s important to stay vigilant.

In the meantime, try to take extra precautions with hygiene, especially when handling anything that might have come into contact with Geralt’s vomit or feces. Washing your hands thoroughly and avoiding sharing food or utensils with him can help reduce the risk of transmission.

Hang in there, and I’m sending positive vibes your way for a speedy recovery for both you and Geralt. You’ve got this!