How to get old cat pee smell out of carpet

So we discovered our cat has been peeing next to our closet, I don’t know how long it’s been there. we bought some Resolve pet odor eleminator and sprayed it on at least 3 times today, the color has faded just a little bit but the odor is still there, is there a way to get the smell and color out of the carpet?

I heard of the baking soda/vinegar/ peroxide solution but I don’t know how well it works,anyone have any idea?

1 Like

Hey…Use a soft brush or sponge to gently scrub the area. Blot the solution with clean cloths or paper towels until the area is mostly dry.

I totally understand what you’re going through. I also had a similar issue with my cat peeing on the carpet. It’s frustrating, but there are some effective ways to handle it.

First, I’ve tried the baking soda and vinegar method, and I can guarantee it works well for both the smell and the stain. Here’s what you can try: Blot up as much of the urine as you can with paper towels. Mix equal parts of white vinegar and water, and pour it on the stained area. Let it sit for a few minutes. Then Blot up the vinegar solution. After that Sprinkle baking soda over the area then mix a half cup of hydrogen peroxide with a teaspoon of dish soap, and pour it over the baking soda. Work it into the carpet with a brush or your fingers, then let it dry completely. Once dry, vacuum up the baking soda.

When I did this, the smell was gone, and the stain lightened up significantly. It might take a couple of rounds, but it’s definitely worth a try.

hi brother james this solution could be helpful Hydrogen Peroxide, Dish Soap, and Baking Soda:**

1. Mix hydrogen peroxide with a few drops of dish soap in a spray bottle.
  2. Spray the solution directly on the old cat urine area.
  3. Blot the area gently with a cloth or paper towel to remove as much of the old urine as possible.
  4. Sprinkle baking soda over the spot to dry the solution and pull out the odors.
  5. Let it sit for a few minutes, then vacuum it up.

The combination of hydrogen peroxide and baking soda should leave the area smelling fresh and clean.