How to care for an orphaned kitten

I took in a kitten whose mother had given up on her. She is about a week old, and she cries all the time, like she is searching for a nipple. I do not know what to do. What is the best way to feed her, and how often should I feed her? Is it okay to allow her to move about the space? In addition, I fear that the new kitten may drive my adult male cat away. Kindly assist!

to tend to a kitten that is abandoned

1. Verify if the kitten indeed requires your assistance. Get a feel for the area before taking the kitten from where you discovered her.
  2. Offer a cozy and secure environment.
  3. Give the area some heat.
  4. Give her a proper meal.
  5. Intigue her to make her “go to the bathroom”.
  6. Tidy her up.
2 Likes

Cool tip! @Brandy dor the method on how to attend kitten that is abandoned

1 Like

I found a newborn cat left in a dumpster about a month and a half ago. Since I could not find a syringe at the neighborhood pet store, I had to feed her kitten milk replacer formula from a bottle after rescuing her from the closed dumpster. She flourished on the formula despite the improvised arrangement and is now well. At first, I fed her around every two hours, but as she grew bigger, I progressively stopped. Now that she is weaned, she likes both wet and dry cat food. I am hesitant to let her go outside because of her antagonistic neighbors. Her playful activities are causing mixed emotions in my two elder cats, but they are growing used to it. I am glad you and your cat are doing well, and I appreciate you saving her life.

While supervised, it’s okay for her to move about a safe, confined area to get some exercise. Ensure there are no hazards she could get into.

I have a cat named Luna, and I recently took in a stray kitten named Max. Initially, Max cried a lot and needed frequent feedings with kitten formula. I kept him in a warm, safe space and fed him every 2-3 hours. Over time, he grew stronger and more active. I introduced Luna to Max gradually, allowing them to sniff each other through a baby gate. Luna was cautious at first but eventually accepted Max, and now they get along well. With patience and care, both cats have adapted beautifully to the new arrangement.

1. Don’t panic.
  2. Kittens can’t keep themselves warm. Get a heating lamp or pad.
  3. Is very small. May need to be fed every 2-3 hours. Get kitten formula and a bottle or large syringe feeder.
  4. Keep the kitten isolated from other animals in your house. Wash your hands after handling the kitten, as it might have illnesses.
  5. Once the kitten reaches about a pound, take it to the vet for a health check, including a possible blood draw. Be ready to provide a stool sample to check for worms