How Do You Remove Old Cat Pee Smell from Carpet?

Hey guys,

We just found out that our cat has been peeing next to our closet, and we’re not sure how long it’s been there. Today, we’ve sprayed Resolve pet odor eliminator at least three times, and while the color has faded a bit, the odor is still lingering. Is there a reliable way to completely remove both the smell and the stain from the carpet?

I’ve heard about using a baking soda, vinegar, and peroxide solution, but I’m not sure how effective it is. Any of you have experience with this or other methods?

1 Like

Firstly, look into why your cat might be peeing outside the litter box. It could be due to a UTI, inadequate number of litter boxes (each cat should ideally have at least two), or issues like small or dirty litter boxes. A vet visit might be necessary to address the root cause, preventing potential future problems.

Cat urine contains uric acid, which has a long half-life of about 6 years. While baking soda, peroxide, and vinegar might help with the stain, they won’t effectively neutralize uric acid. This compound is what your cat smells and may encourage repeated peeing in the same spot. To effectively eliminate the odor, you’ll need a commercial enzyme cleaner specifically designed to break down uric acid. Products like Nok Out, Urine Off, Anti Icky Poo, or Nature’s Miracle are recommended for this purpose. Unlike Resolve, which is not enzyme-based and only addresses the stain, these cleaners must be poured onto the affected area to reach the carpet pad and subfloor. It’s important to use plenty of cleaner and allow it to sit, work, and dry thoroughly.

Cat urine can be stubborn to completely remove, especially on humid days. Multiple treatments with enzyme cleaner may be necessary, ensuring each application dries completely before reapplying. If these methods fail, you might need to consider removing the carpet and padding, treating the subfloor with a sealant like Kilz, and possibly replacing the carpet altogether.

I finally used a pet carpet cleaner small vacuum and sprayed some apple cider vinegar that had been a little watered down on the spot. This mix did the trick in the end. Have fun!! It worked for me to get rid of cat pee.