How do you register a dog as emotional support

Hi! I am 18 and I struggle with depression, anxiety, PTSD, and BPD.

I talked to my therapist before about getting an emotional support animal and had a dog, but it died because it came from a bad breeder.

Now, I want to register my new dog as an emotional support animal so I can keep it in my dorm.

How do I do that?


I’m sorry to hear that your dog passed away @Gia…Getting a new puppy as an ESA sounds like an excellent way to manage your sadness, anxiety, PTSD, and BPD. Here is the process:

ESA Letter: Instead of registering your dog as an ESA, get a letter from a licenced mental health practitioner. This letter confirms your eligibility for an ESA and how your dog helps you manage your symptoms. Since you are already seeing a therapist, talk to them about acquiring an ESA letter.

Dorm Policy Review: While an ESA letter guarantees your right to have a dog in housing under the Fair Housing Act, dorms may have extra requirements. Inquire with your dormitory’s disability services office about their specific ESA policies.
This could include size limits, breed restrictions, or supplementary documents such as vaccination records.

New Dog Considerations

Breed: Discuss potential breeds for dorm life with your therapist, taking into account aspects such as size, temperament, and degree of activity.

Training: Make sure your dog understands basic commands and behaves appropriately in the dorm (no excessive barking, leash training, etc.).

My first condolences for your loss and the difficulties you are going through. Speak with your therapist or a mental health specialist who can evaluate your need for an emotional support animal before registering your new dog. They can offer paperwork that you can submit for approval to the housing department of your institution.