Flea comb for cats

Since September, we’ve been battling fleas, thinking we had them under control a couple of weeks ago, but they’re back with a vengeance. Our indoor cat, who has FIV, can’t afford to get sick from anything he encounters. We’re in an apartment complex where neighbors are facing similar issues, possibly due to stray cats and wildlife. The building isn’t sealed well, exacerbating the problem. Despite trying various treatments and cleaning methods, including flea dips and sprays, the infestation persists. Combing doesn’t seem to catch any fleas, adding to our frustration. Our cat’s constant scratching and the discomfort of being bitten ourselves are wearing us down. We’ve been told fleas in our area are resistant to certain treatments. Financial constraints make vet visits challenging, and the stress is compounded by the fact that I wasn’t initially keen on having a cat. However, recent efforts seem to have rid our old apartment of fleas, and our cat’s coat is improving.

1 Like

I’ve been using a flea comb on my cat, and let me tell you, it’s a handy tool to have around! It’s like a fine-tooth comb specifically designed to grab those pesky fleas. They’re usually made of metal with teeth close together, so they can snag fleas and their eggs hiding in your cat’s fur. While a flea comb won’t eliminate a full-blown infestation, it’s great for catching a few fleas or keeping on top of things if you notice your cat scratching more than usual. Plus, they’re easy to use, affordable, and don’t involve any harsh chemicals.

Here are a few steps that might help:

Consult the Vet: Even though finances are tight, a vet can recommend the most effective flea treatments that are safe for your cat, especially considering his FIV condition. Sometimes, they can offer payment plans or cheaper alternatives.
Flea Treatments: Ensure you’re using a flea treatment specifically recommended for cats. Some over-the-counter options might not be strong enough, especially if fleas in your area are resistant.
Environmental Treatments: Consider using flea bombs or foggers, but make sure they’re safe for your cat. You might need to temporarily relocate your cat while treating the apartment.
Seal Entry Points: Try to seal any gaps or cracks in your apartment to prevent stray cats and wildlife from bringing fleas in.