Can dogs take trazodone?

Hey there, I will be careful with my words because I got in trouble before. But basically, when I took my dog to the vet, they gave me some medicine called trazodone to give to my dog before the next vet visit because he gets really nervous there. The vet also suggested I give him a pill to help trim his nails at home because he doesn’t like his paws being touched. I’m not asking for specific instructions on how much to give or questioning my vet. I just want to know what other people’s experiences have been with giving their dogs trazodone. I’m a bit worried that if something goes wrong, I won’t know if it’s serious or not.

1 Like

You can’t walk out immediately from the vet without asking questions about Trazodone and its effects. That is crazy…

1 Like

My dog is on Gabapentine and Trazodone for anxiety. For the first two weeks I had to wake him to go out to use the toilet. But slowly slowly he got more joyful. Overall, though, I think it’s better for your dog to be a bit more sleepy and less lively than a ball of stress. Anyway, best is to consult with the vet as they know best.

1 Like

Trazodone is safe for dogs, helping them stay calm post-surgery or during stressful events like vet visits or travel. It’s also used daily for dogs with behavioral issues or phobias like thunderstorms. Immediate effects are not typical; it usually takes time to see behavioral improvements. Common side effects include drowsiness and upset stomach, but severe reactions like increased aggression are rare. Dosage varies based on the dog’s size and the situation, with immediate use requiring higher doses.

1 Like

I hear you loud and clear! It’s totally normal to be worried about giving your pup new meds, especially after a previous mix-up. Trazodone is pretty common for vet visits, and I can share my experience (and what others have shared online) to hopefully ease your mind.

• Calming Companion: Trazodone is like a doggie chill pill. It helps them relax and can take the edge off their anxiety, especially at the vet. Many people say it works wonders for their nervous pups during vet trips.
  • Not a Knockout: Don’t worry, it won’t knock your dog out cold. They’ll still be aware of their surroundings, just calmer and less stressed.
  • Know the Signs: While trazodone is generally safe, be on the lookout for any unusual side effects like vomiting, diarrhea, or excessive drowsiness. If those happen, contact your vet, but these are uncommon.
  • Start Slow: Sometimes the full dose can be a bit much. Talk to your vet about starting with a lower dose to see how your dog reacts before the next visit.

Remember, you’re not alone! Many pet owners use trazodone for their dogs, and it can be a big help for those stressful vet visits. If you have any concerns at all, don’t hesitate to call your vet – they’re always happy to answer your questions and address your worries.