Can cats eat onions?

Hey, pet talk forum members. I want to give my cat onions is there any danger?

1 Like

It’s great that you’re reaching out for advice before giving your cat something new. It’s crucial to avoid giving your cat onions or any foods containing them. Onions, along with garlic and other members of the Allium family, contain compounds that can be toxic to cats. These substances can cause damage to red blood cells, leading to anaemia. Symptoms of onion toxicity in cats include vomiting, diarrhoea, reduced appetite, and dehydration. In severe cases, it can even be fatal. Therefore, it’s best to keep onions and related foods far away from your feline friend’s diet to ensure their health and well-being. If you suspect your cat has ingested onions, contact your veterinarian immediately for advice and possible treatment.

According to my Knowledge as a vet,cats do not eat Onions.

Good answer. I support you cats should not be given foods with onions has they have sidelining effects to their red blood cells which could lead to anemia.

1 Like

Just topping up on this ; Cats absolutely cannot eat onions, and it’s dangerous no matter the amount. Here’s the thing:

• Onions are toxic to cats: Onions contain a compound called N-propyl disulfide, which messes with their red blood cells. These cells carry oxygen throughout their body, and if the onions damage them, your cat can’t get the oxygen it needs [1].
  • Even a small amount can be bad: We’re not talking about a whole onion here. Even a lick or two, or some onion powder snuck into their food, can be enough to cause problems [2].
  • Symptoms can take time to show: This can be tricky. Your cat might not seem sick right away, but the damage to their red blood cells can be happening behind the scenes [3].

The worst-case scenario is something called hemolytic anemia, which is when their red blood cells get destroyed. This can lead to weakness, trouble breathing, and even be life-threatening [2].

So, the bottom line is onions are a big no-no for cats. There are plenty of safe and yummy cat treats out there, so skip the onion scraps and keep your kitty healthy!

If you’re ever worried your cat might have gotten into some onions, consult a vet right away. Early intervention is key!